Author Topic: Potamus's 88 Starion  (Read 11451 times)

Potamus

• Ignition Advance
  • TBI turd
Potamus's 88 Starion
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »

This is my 1988 Starion SHP I had her scene march 2004 had an 88 conquest prior to the starion

ran the starion mostly stock for 3 years (freemods 1g mass mbc gutted cats 18psi) ran a 14.2 with a 1.9 60ft on that set up, wish i could find that time slip. Eventually the supposedly rebuilt 2.6 became tired balance shafts rattling and loose timing chains so i parked it in 2007, bought a beat 87 starion mainly as a parts car drove it for 4 months till I spun a rod bearing doing drunken donuts

Then in December of 2011 after much buggin by Notstock88 I bought the old motor from my old 88 Conquest that i had sold to a friend He had just had it rebuilt drove it for a month and it began to smoke very bad so he pulled it and swaped a 7mgte.

I tore it down and this is what i found.

So I took the head witch only had 400 miles on it to the machine shop we used at work the old guy at the machine shop asked me if i wanted to lean how to surface and grind my valves and seats on my own head so on my lunch breaks I went to the machine shop ended up replacing all the guides and threw in one of my spare sets of valves.

Assembled my motor. Brought the starion home from where it had been sitting at house I own in Montpelier Oh.

Cleaned my engine bay
Before

After

Striped and polished my wheels, Busch clear coat remover is the only way to go then followed that up with a mothers power ball.

Potamus

• Ignition Advance
  • TBI turd
Re: Potamus's 88 Starion
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »
So my current mods are

balance shaft elimination
ported Clearwater head
arps ajusa gasket
Custom intake bored and pressed in 52 mm sleeve no coolant to the tb pipe plug in the egr passage
lower shores 52mm tb
hoged to the max mixer housing no divider
heavily ported stock exhaust manifold
ported 12a at 19 psi 
KDM ic pipes turbo xs rfl blow off valve
1g mass
F1 stage 3 240mm 6 puck sprung disk and pressure plate
GNT short shifter
innovate wideband

I have lots of goodies to go on it just need the weather to break and a good rain storm to wash the salt off the road so i can take it to work and use the hoist to install the new goodies.
evo III 16g in a sq exhaust housing
full 3 in exhaust
magnaflow polishes ss muffler with tip
GNT suspension bushings
GNT trans mount
GNT tt bushings
GNT diff mounts
Walbro 255
and a funk lock
I'm waiting on a fuel pressure regulator
and also need to get mega squirt

notstock88

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »
This car has come a LONG way since I remember it when I saw it for the first time when nick bought it. Congrats to you for taking the time and bring that thing back to life. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

TainterRacing

• Tire Shredder
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »
Current mods is all most the same as my free cheap car I did years ago got in the 13's with it!! Keep it up!

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »
battery in the back sir!
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

C89ZX7R

• BANNED
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »
Nice.
"Everyone knows the price of something but the value of nothing!"
Mods I Created "1g Maf On The Stock Harness" - "Datsun Brake Reservoir's On The Stock Master" - "Dsm Clutch Reservoir On The Stock Master"

Potamus

• Ignition Advance
  • TBI turd
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:14:53 AM »
Thanks guys, and Phil I'm not sure if I'm ready to move the battery to the back I've removed a lot from the front abs a/c and all the miscellaneous bs it doesn't need but from the rear I've only droped the spair, jack, abs computer stuff and rear seat seatbelts. Idk it is something I need to consider.

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
looking good Kevin. even better since the fender is painted. and working clutch... ;D that's crazy that we slapped a 87 disc in an 88 flywheel and plate and it held... till ya got home  you shouldn't break down so far from home... hahahaha. guys this car is just getting better and better every year. and I love the tan interior.
1989 Conquest. motor built by DAD .20 over block. Wiseco pistons. new m26 head w/ ss valves. Holset Hx35 at ??psi, hurricane MPI intake manifold. 75lb injectors. meth injection, 3" exhaust. 3bar map sensor. Ajusta Head gasket. ARP head studs. FIP updated by Scott87star

Potamus

• Ignition Advance
  • TBI turd
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Yep I broke the center out of my clutch disk at Tye's last meet.

This is me that night at the meet. He gave me a stock 225 disk it slipped as soon as it made boost but it made it 110 miles home and 43miles to work to change it on the hoist

I put an eBay cheepo  f1 stage 3 in it I know they are not the greatest but i haven't had any issues with it yet.

Yeah i wrecked it probly the second year i had it had to put a door i got from TSI Rocket (Logan) right after it happened because it put the crash bar through the window that was rolled down at the time. It still had the crunched up fender and no rocker till last winter

Had the fender from my parts car and a rocker I got from Tye painted.

And Eric found me a new oem air dam on craigslist to replace my beat up zip tied one.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »
Battery to the back
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

C89ZX7R

• BANNED
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »

The throw out bearing is Plastic????????????????????
Mods I Created "1g Maf On The Stock Harness" - "Datsun Brake Reservoir's On The Stock Master" - "Dsm Clutch Reservoir On The Stock Master"

Potamus

• Ignition Advance
  • TBI turd
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
Yeah I didn't use it I reused the quality one that was on the car it only had 2,000 miles on it

C89ZX7R

• BANNED
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »

The throw out bearing is Plastic????????????????????

Something I just noticed. Blue clutch above is Ebay F1, Picture below is Competition Clutch Stage 4

Potamus

• Ignition Advance
  • TBI turd
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 07:34:12 PM »
Yep xtd and a couple others are all the same just different color paint on the pressure plate

C89ZX7R

• BANNED
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
F1 states like 390wtq, while CC states 475wtq