Author Topic: Greddy Type-R BOV Issue  (Read 2031 times)

notstock88

Greddy Type-R BOV Issue
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:45:06 AM »
I ran a used Greddy Type-R BOV for the last 8yr and had no issues. The diaphragm finally gave out and I dis-assembled the BOV to find the spring inside was cut?!? I set the spring on a flat surface and I could see it was crooked, hence the reason the diaphragm tore (un-even spring pressure).
So I buy another used Greddy Type-R that is basically brand new and install it but now I get all kinds of compressor surge (turkey gobble sound) at any low boost shift. When the BOV does blow off under high boost it very quickly opens and closes then I hear the compressor surge after it opens. So I loosened the adjusting screw all the way out to soften the spring pressure to the minimum, but it still does it.

I am assuming the previous owner of my original Type-R had cut the spring down for less tension and thats why I had no issues with it blowing off at lower psi. Also I want to add that there is two different spring options for this particular BOV - a "stiff" spring and a "soft" spring.... I have no idea which spring was in my original or in my current BOV. How would you guys suggest I go about fixing this?

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Re: Greddy Type-R BOV Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:22:06 AM »
Buy the soft spring. I think the original Type R was a real RAcE valve. You need like 10 more lb's.
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

notstock88

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 07:28:10 PM »
Ordered the soft spring today. Hope this does the trick.

notstock88

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
FUCK... the spring is on back-order for 3-6 weeks. I guess I will have to wait :(

notstock88

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:52:16 AM »
Not much of an update but here is a side by side comparison of the spring that was in my first Type-R Bov and the spring from my latest. I measured the thickness of the spring and on the original spring it measure .250 and the latest spring measures .280 so the latest spring is clearly the "stiff" spring and compressing it by hand I can feel the difference in the stiffness.