Author Topic: Data logging & understanding the stock ecu. Evolution of the TBI Monster to Mpi  (Read 60979 times)

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I got home pushed in the clutch and bam. Some thing broke with  a bang and the pedal went to the floor.  ??? Oh well, I should have pulled the trans to check for the source of a vibration a while ago.  ;)

Well i am off  to work  the car in to the garage.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING

Something broke in my Act pressure plate, or maybe some of the mounting bolts popped out.  It will not disengage, so I have to pull it to find out what is wrong.

UH OH!  :o

Not hydraulics???
Not Hydraulics. Had a vibration for a while. Some where I have a used and abused speck 3 plus. I might put that in.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Now I have another problem. This does not explain my vibration. The vibration is like the typical bse engine buzz, but 2 or 3 times worse.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Nice

When does it vibe? Any significant related action?
idle, cruise, in gear, in neutral?
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
i don't see anything wrong there.... its a traction assist mode lol..... I have never seen a broken fork like that usually its the clip that rust out... huh... must be a bad ass pressure plate. im having issues of putting it in first or reverse. and clunky shifts. I my have to drop the trans and look. I have my clutch pedal rod almost too long I think to help with the problem. but its not helping much, Hey John, how is your thrust bearing on your crank? just curious.
1989 Conquest. motor built by DAD .20 over block. Wiseco pistons. new m26 head w/ ss valves. Holset Hx35 at ??psi, hurricane MPI intake manifold. 75lb injectors. meth injection, 3" exhaust. 3bar map sensor. Ajusta Head gasket. ARP head studs. FIP updated by Scott87star

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Tye, your problem is linkage or hydro most likely. Will it clunk going into first if you double pump the pedal?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Hey John, how is your thrust bearing on your crank? just curious.

When does it vibe? Any significant related action?
idle, cruise, in gear, in neutral?
.005 crank end play.

The vibe is like a car with hard motor mounts.

Which is what is wrong. Metal to metal contact from a failed pass side  aftermarket engine mount.

Looks like the u joints are on the way out also.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Failed pass engine mount?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
Failed pass engine mount?

Yes, do tell??? and phil double clutching dosent help. still has slight drag im thinking.
1989 Conquest. motor built by DAD .20 over block. Wiseco pistons. new m26 head w/ ss valves. Holset Hx35 at ??psi, hurricane MPI intake manifold. 75lb injectors. meth injection, 3" exhaust. 3bar map sensor. Ajusta Head gasket. ARP head studs. FIP updated by Scott87star

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
The top plate is setting on the collar. It looks like the rubber broke down and oozed out of place. Maybe the heat killed it?  This was new from rock auto about 4 years ago. They fit and looked like chit from the get go. Only new motor mounts I ever bought. Put a 25 year old oem in. I think it has another 25 years in it.

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
John, i have never seen that before. looks like it was heat affected. good thing you do have the metal shield in there. lol.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
The car is back together. I tried Phil's suggestion to put a spacer behind the clutch fork pivot ball. I used a head stud washer. The hole is a little big, but both sides are machined.

There is a big difference in clutch engagement height vs pre shift fork breaking. The fork is in the center of the trans opening, and the slave pistion is not trying to come out of the cylinder.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Thats exactly what I use, ARP stud washer.

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
That's exactly what I use, ARP stud washer.
Thanks for the ideal. It works.  8)

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
It also reduces the angle/stress on the shift fork. Now you just need to solidify that ridiculous dampner. ;)
CLICK TO SEE BUILD