Author Topic: Data logging & understanding the stock ecu. Evolution of the TBI Monster to Mpi  (Read 62412 times)

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
There probably was nothing wrong with the walbro. It just could no longer over come this.  Sadly the e85 is killing the tank.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
So the in tank filter and under hood filter were changed with the 044 install. But the 044 is not doing any better at the 80-85 psi of fuel pressure I run under boost then when the walbo and filters were healthy. It would surely do better with bigger injectors at lower pressure.

I tried a 1800 primary, but the drivability was unacceptable. I currently have a 1200 primary and do have a 1400 I guess i might as well try.

I believe the stock lines at the front of the car are a restriction at the fuel pressure i am running. 3200 cc total injector size. The 3/8 barb on the inlet of the pump may also be a restriction, so i may order a bigger barb from the UK.   http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-044-FUEL-PUMP-INLET-FITTING-UNION-FOR-12MM-ID-HOSE-PIPE-ZH-/121394122864?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c43a75070&vxp=mtr

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Dump those 90deg banjo fittings on the filter. Wish I could find it. Dude in the dsm world did it to test a theory and shaved a couple % DC.
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Dump those 90deg banjo fittings on the filter. Wish I could find it. Dude in the dsm world did it to test a theory and shaved a couple % DC.
I am looking at running new fuel lines and maybe an aftermarket filter.

There is a dyno day coming up.

But it seems I have lost my nerve to spend money.   :-\

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
I feel ya brother
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I had hoped to be running a mp why by now, but it did not work out. I have how ever been fooling around with a maybe it will squirt controller for tbi. And mostly it does squirt, but just not enough.

10-11-14 Edit, it had seemed the ms needed more duty cycle then the afc tuning system for the same boost, but that is proving not to be the case.

I did put the 1400 primary in and it is running pretty good and the new pump is working better then it initially seemed. I need to rule out the possibility of clogged screens in the fuel rail or flow issues with the 2000 secondary. There were no signs of flow issues at the spring dyno day.

I can still run the stock ecu by flicking a switch, but I need to do some wiring to get the  innovate logging system fully functional so I can compare duty cycles between the two systems.

I am probably going to upgrade the fuel line from the filter to tb fuel rail. The dsm guys get good results with that.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
why run staged injection? Stuff another 2000 in there
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Currently running staged injection. 2 squirts per cycle simultaneous  fire. HR 11 code. 1400/2000 combo on e85. Still using the peak and hold injector driver.

Well I did try the 1800 as a primary. I had the fuel pressure turned back to try and get a decent idle and never did. I tried 1 squirt per cycle and got it to idle, but cruze drivability was horrible. The car was real jerky. The max staging factor was not enough either.  This was before I replaced the fuel pump and filters, turned on closed loop at idle and made a change to bring the secondary in sooner, which helped the staging.

I guess I could try it again, but I am already at the max staging factor with the 1400 primary.

Phil, how was Starwolfs car set up? Squirts per cycle? simultaneous or alternating fire? I think he had twin 1150's? on gas. That would be similar to about twin 1500's on e85. Not all that much smaller than I have with e85 factored in.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
2 squirts
simultaneous
1200's
45psi~50psi
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I installed 6an line from the filter. It seems to be helping the fuel flow.

I also picked up this 12mm inlet barb from the UK. Got it in 7 days. It may not get installed for a while. The picture is besides a 6an push lock barb like I am now using. It is shorter then the an adapter / barb combo which is a plus. The 044 pumps are longer then the walbro's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-044-FUEL-PUMP-INLET-FITTING-UNION-FOR-12MM-ID-HOSE-PIPE-ZH-/121394122864?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c43a75070&vxp=mtr

I also moved the fuel pressure sensor from the fuel rail to the regulator where it is about 20* cooler, hopefully I will have less heat soak error there. They are really not supposed to be on the engine anyway due to the vibration.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Two years ago when I ran the t3 sy/ty 8cm hot side I had boost control issues on the street. It did not run enough psi on the spring (stock waste gate actuator) and would spike badly when I cranked up the ebc. The stock actuator did not have enough travel to fully open the gate.

I wanted to try the t3 hot side again.

So I thought I would give this a try with the 1 bar spring.

I ordered the sq version, thinking I could resell it if it did not work out, and the 1 bar spring separate.

If you ever order one of these, order it with the spring you want installed. It is a pia to get the diafram back in place. I will have to post about that later.

It barely has enough travel for the t3 hot side, but it works great.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
badass, where did you get it?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Hanging out with the v8's, Phil would have whipped them all.  ;D

starquestjoe

Looks ok john but what is happening around 5k rpm?  And the curves are choppy