Author Topic: Data logging & understanding the stock ecu. Evolution of the TBI Monster to Mpi  (Read 60980 times)

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Looks ok john but what is happening around 5k rpm?  And the curves are choppy
Are  you talking about the power dip at 5k? The initial boost spike is used up and the boost is starting drop there. Then recovers slightly before tailing off. The boost spike was minimal on the first to pulls. About 2 psi on the last two with an additional 1 psi tail off.

How much boost was I running? That is a good question! Ms and logworks do not agree. I was believing logworks, but when that signal maxed out at 27.5 psi, clearly something is wrong there. Ms says about 27 on the first pull and 31 on the last.

The pulls were made on ms. We got to wide open throttle late because ms goes stupid lean when I try to accelerate , Probably would have be better just to mash it, let it stumble and then recover.

I sent the ms off for a ms2 upgrade. The car runs so much better on the piggy back system.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
It has been a long cold, snow, ice, and salt covered winter.  I hope to get the car out tomarrow or sunday.

The ms2 was a big improvement over ms1. And thanks to Scott for some much need help with the tune.

The sterring box leaks really bad in cold weather and the rear leaks as well. Maybe I will replace them this year.   :-\

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Well the car still runs. I picked up the 10 hz gps module https://www.efianalytics.com/products/BT-Q818XT.html?id=tshelp. I can't get the laptop blue tooth adapter to work, but it works with the  usb cable.

PSU_Crash

• Tire Shredder
Sounds like you're having a good time down there! I have spent a lot of time working on accel enrichments and they still aren't right. Always a quick lean spike, then pig rich as if something isn't reacting fast enough when I up the enrichment.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I have spent time working on accel enrichments and they still aren't right. Always a quick lean spike, then pig rich as if something isn't reacting fast enough when I up the enrichment.
Sounds like my car. I have been starting to blame some of it on tbi, but yours is mpi!  ???

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
People always go too high with thier accel.
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

PSU_Crash

• Tire Shredder
I kept increasing mine to try and smooth out the lean spike when I hit the gas without a lot of luck. It's better than it was but it still spikes lean then rich on a quick stab.

Guessing your logs look a lot like this, this causes a slight stumble on tip in. It's very noticeable on free rev (as in this log) but it isn't nearly as bad when driving.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I went to the spring dyno day a couple of weeks ago. I was not really looking for max power. Most previous runs were in cooler dry air, and I was curious how much the heat and humid air was effecting the car. The logs were showing a significant drop in duty cycle from early in the year.

Running MS 2.We went wot at about 3100. With the piggy back tuning system I had to roll into the throttle on less I altered the street tune. Full boost was hit at about 3900 rpm. First run was a disappointing 322 hp. It was a little rich up top so I leaned it out some.

T3 8cm hot side. Standard td06 turbine billet 6+6 20g compressor. Same as last fall.

Run -- Boost--   Boost at peak power-----HP
1------25.4---------25.4--------------------322
2------28-26.8-----27----------------------344
3------29-27.3-----27.4--------------------361

PSU_Crash

• Tire Shredder
Still nice numbers! I wish I could successfully run over 20psi on the dyno and not break up :(

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Woulda expected the power to hit sooner. Whats your timing map look like?

Looks sooo much smoother than your old graphs.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
The smoothness was noted by the dyno operator who remarked he thought it was the best it ever ran. And it was.

The first run was to rich and was chopper.

One the 361 pull. Still a little rich. The car likes 11.75
afr   rpm   duty cycle
10.3--3900-----78.3
11.4--5100-----82.1
11.2--5600-----86.0

Looking at past dyno sessions, I would say that ms2 gives smoother afr then the piggy back system, but the piggy back was smoother then the ms1 high resolution code. 

The dyno operator feels that choppy power curves are often the result of not enough timing on forced induction cars and mentioned reversion being a factor.

I am still using stock timimg control. With base timing at 15* I think the car wants more timing.

Just a reminder to the new guys that this is a e85 car.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
My fuel pressure transducer craped out. It is always something.

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
If nothing ever broke you would be bored...lol
1989 Conquest. motor built by DAD .20 over block. Wiseco pistons. new m26 head w/ ss valves. Holset Hx35 at ??psi, hurricane MPI intake manifold. 75lb injectors. meth injection, 3" exhaust. 3bar map sensor. Ajusta Head gasket. ARP head studs. FIP updated by Scott87star

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
how goes the beast John? You MPY yet?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD