Author Topic: Data logging & understanding the stock ecu. Evolution of the TBI Monster to Mpi  (Read 60973 times)

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
I gotta say, I never........my lord....speechless.. :o

bowing my head sir...bowing my head....
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

non-intercooled flatty

• Tire Shredder
Very nice!  What are the time/date stamps from 2007?
The White Bear - MPI fatty
Oscar - TBI flatty
85.5 - yet to be named, yet to even run

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Very nice!  What are the time/date stamps from 2007?
Hum? The date was correct on my spring 2012 dyno, and wrong on the fall 2012 dyno.  I will have to get on them about that. At one point years ago he did say the dyno computer was not connected to the net.

2012 dyno's
Oct 29 2012

Last Dyno

New Dyno Boost peaked at 27.7 and tailed of to 26.5

Spring 2013

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Geez I want to see this car with a standalone!  8)
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Geez I want to see this car with a standalone!  8)
It's time.  ;)

It would be neat to swap on a magna, and see how much or little it picks up.

I bid on a eip intake a bit ago, but it got away.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
What you have achieved with your setup is so far beyond what everyone else thought was possible that they never even considered it. 400whp TBi / stock ECU, ....unimaginable. Youve raised the bar so high. Not just for the TBi guys.  8)

Great job man!
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
What you have achieved with your setup is so far beyond what everyone else thought was possible that they never even considered it. 400whp TBi / stock ECU, ....unimaginable. You've raised the bar so high. Not just for the TBi guys.  8)

Great job man!
No one ever tried. They were alway told this or that can't work by people who never tried. Lots of old stick in the mud normally aspirated carb mechanics still around to this day spouting 15 year old bull chit. The equipment i use was available 10 years ago, maybe sooner to some degree.  E85 and big injectors not so much. I  have taken this way beyond what was reasonable to expect. But it could be applied on a smaller scale by a lot more people.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Amazing how drastically everything improved once you went to the 06 wheel.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Yes, the 05h was done at 300. The standard 06 is really considered an obsolete turbine by the shops, kinda like the 05. Today's performance turbos almost always use one of the 06h variants or the sl2 style turbines.

On a technical note.

The sy/ty 8cm housing lowered turbine inlet pressure about 5 psi. Back pressure peaked at 62 on the 23 psi pull and 79 on the 29 psi pull.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Completely forgot you went to a syty housing.

does sl2 actually flow better? I thought it was smaller but im sure the design is much improved.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
Does sl2 actually flow better? I thought it was smaller but i'm sure the design is much improved.
That is a good  question. I have asked it several times and few will answer it. The guy from map performance said the 06 flows better. But when people talk about 06's, the are primary talking about 06h 12 and 11 blade turbine's. Like i said the 06 is seldom used in off the shelf performance builds. So even though i said 06 standard, the guy from map may have heard 06h.

The sL2 is  smaller and has 11 blades vs 12. I have heard it said you can run it in a 06 standard housing. It will just act like it has some degree of clip.

Good luck getting a shop that uses a sl2 to admit it is the same one that we can buy from Taiwan. Or more likely that they are different but comes out of the same factories or one down the street.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I was in Blouch turbo last week dropping off my sq 06 housing for waste gate porting. He said he could not do much with it and thinks a 5* clip would help with the creep more. Not keen on the clip ideal, but i had the waste gate ported and it looks good. Much nicer work than i have the patience to do.

So i mention sl2, and get the it is Taiwan carp, crap flow ect. I say but you use a 11 blade turbine?, can i buy one off yours?. Dude comes back with a 12 blade and 11 blade mhi turbines. So there 11 blade is actually a 06h mhi 11 blade. I did not know mhi made an 11 blade 06h.

So he tries to set it in my housing, and it does not fit. I said 06 standard, he heard 06h.  :)

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
The 1200 primary injector was not working out, so i went back to a 1050 Delphi primary. Air temp changes seemed to be some what responsible for moving  the Cruise and idle tune all over the place.

I wired the air temp sensor in the airflow meter to my logger.  Intake air temp is constianly 20-25* over ambient temp even at 50 mph and goes still higher in city traffic. I have the popular hot air intake open air filter in the engine bay. Basically the ecu leans the car out as the intake air temp rises.

The only time i saw a rapid change in the temp was when i did a full throttle pull. The temp dropped 10* as the turbo spooled and than gained it back at the end of the pull. As stated this is the mitsu sensor in the mas.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
I had the stock turbine housing waste gate ported by Blouch. The inlet was already ported. but they worked it some more to help the exhaust make the turn.

I was tired of the noise of the loud strait thru muffler, so the quite exhaust with  the gutted cat went on at the same time. Time for the state inspection anyway.

Car was switched from the e85 / ms109 blend to strait e85 as well This and the injector change will limit peak power to about 360 weather permitting. The purpose of the ms109 was to extend the hp potential of the injectors (more btu per gal). Ms 109 is an unleaded fuel with mtbe. Mtbe is said to be being used in the e85 race fuels being brought to market by the race fuel companies.

Sqr

• TBI Guy
  • TBi WHP KING
-Mods at the time of the 401 hp Dyno pull.

--Pistons--Wiseco 8-1

--Turbo--Stock manifold with welded on T3 flange. Sy/ty 8cm turbine housing. Mitsu td06 turbine. Kingawa surge ported compressor cover. KTS billet 20g 6+6 blade compressor. 3" exhaust, strait through bullet muffler. 29psi tailing off to 28

--Boost control--Internal gate. Electronic

--Engine Management--2g 609 maf,  Apexi Neo afc, Versafuler peak and hold injector driver box, fiveomotorsports 1200 primary, 2000 secondary. Innovate data logger. Magnafuel regulator, 54 psi base. Wallbo 255 external pump power by 10gauge wire via a relay.

--Camshaft--Tep HR70. Degreed. About 5* advanced.

--Fuel Used--E90 with about 10% Ms109 blended in.

--Manifold-- Tbi. Lowershores 52mm tb and intake.

--Head--M28. Si stock size ss valves, ported, Schneider springs, Ti locks and retainers.

--Block--Knife edge crank and crank scraper.

--Innercooler and piping--KDM 4" and 2.25 pipes. Home built ahp with maf baffel.

--Ignition--Mallory 6al, Msd Hvc2 coil, Ngk 7031 plugs. Stock timing.