Author Topic: My Pile...89 SHP  (Read 8415 times)

Corey

• OverBoost
My Pile...89 SHP
« on: March 21, 2016, 10:11:25 AM »
First---back story.

When I was 14 or 15 my brother had a Fiji car, and I loved it..I thought that starquests looked great, they were unique, and being young, I thought his stock quest was the fastest thing ever! Fast forward about 2 or 3 years, and I found a white '89 about 2 hrs away. I went and checked it out and fell in love. It was bone stock, some rust, had little to no brakes(as the master cyl leaked like a siv), power steering was non existant(leaky power steering pump), but it went like hell and I loved it. This was 2008. I was 17 at the time. This is how I came to own my 89 SHP.

A couple weeks into ownership I found out the vehicle had a cracked head(the usual), so I got a new bare casting, installed it with Schneider springs and new seals, JVE, etc.

Shortly after this, I replaced the worn out steering coupler, and put a new brake master cylinder in it. Also, doing some basic maintenance, plugs, wires, brakes, vacuum advance, throttle body rebuild, etc.

Eventually did some small mods, 1g maf, maf translator for awhile, 16g, OVCP, coilovers...Little bits.

Throughout a year or two, I traded and got back this car a couple of times. Eventually, daily driving this the distance I was at the time was not feasible and I was forced to get rid of the vehicle and acquired a crx I began dailying. This was 2010. When I got rid of the car the last time, I also had an 88 shp parts car that went with it. Here are some pictures from how it was when I had it until that point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fast Forward to 2015
I was in the process of a 302/t5 swap into a '83 RX7, a friend of a friend messages me on facebook and tells me he found my old conquest--his neighbor had acquired it many years ago, blew a "intake gasket(this turned out to be a very blow headgasket LOL), and it had sat since. My friend was going to trade his neighbor for a Nissan mini truck he had. I offered said friend of friend my rx7 as a trade for the conquest--he accepted and there I was. My old conquest back in my hands. The car I met my wife in, the car I learned so much on, the car that taught me how Forced Induction worked. My car. This car is beat as hell, but its my beat to hell car. And the journey begins....again.

The car is very, very rusty now unfortunately. Probably to the point it should be scrapped. But I refuse to do that. I have nothing but time, and will fix it all.

The game plan is to get it back on the road.. No power goal or anything at the moment. I just want a good running car first and foremost. Then ill think about modding again. Every aspect of the car needs addressed. Brakes, Steering, Suspension, etc etc.

I decided the best way to tackle it, without overwhelming myself, is to work in "thirds". The first third being firewall forward.

So I bought a harbor freight media blaster and went to town. Stripped the engine bay, fix the strut tower rust, and repainted.

Fixing the strut tower rust..

Priming...

And finally some paint

And this is where I sit currently.

I did pick up a full s13 240st subframe, steering column, rack and pinion, and spindles yesterday for a great price--So the plan is to do a rack conversion next. Then get and engine back in the car shortly after.

I will keep this thread updated as I go!!
Thanks for reading!

:) :) 8) 8) ;D ;D

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Re: My Pile...89 SHP
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 02:42:01 PM »
Nice! The white ones are always the most badass. ;) I swear everybody has a fiji hahaha. Goodluck!
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »
Nice! The white ones are always the most badass. ;) I swear everybody has a fiji hahaha. Goodluck!

Thanks! Im gonna need all the luck I can get haha.

notstock88

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 06:52:33 PM »
I dont know what it is about these cars but somehow they get drawn to me along with the owners. I remember when you first bought the car when you were working at the Tireman in Maumee, where I worked/lived and..... Low and behold, you show up at my house, like so many others, looking for advice and direction.... here we are 5yr later and still friends and we still have conquest's.

I love the progress you made in such a short time here recently. Keep up the good work!!

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »
Thanks Eric!!
---------------------------------------------------
Heres a quick picture of the 240 rack stuff I bought.

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »
i agree looking good 8)

i also feel your pain on fixing rusty ohio cars.
1984 Dodge Conquest 58,000 miles, all original.

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 08:38:12 PM »
i agree looking good 8)

i also feel your pain on fixing rusty ohio cars.

Where about in Ohio are you?

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
about 20 minutes south of columbus in lancaster.

there are a few of us here in ohio, we used to have a meet each year at mopar nationals but i have been absent for 5yrs so not sure if they still meet there. we usually meet on gender road in columbus which is a couple exits away from National Trail Raceway and its kinds the cruising spot for all the muscle car mopars.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:16:25 PM »

there are a few of us here in ohio,  we usually meet on gender road

Is that were they issue yall your skirts and assign you trashy middle names?    Byanna Sue..... Hahahaha
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »

there are a few of us here in ohio, we used to have a meet each year at mopar nationals but i have been absent for 5yrs so not sure if they still meet there. we usually meet on gender road in columbus which is a couple exits away from National Trail Raceway and its kinds the cruising spot for all the muscle car mopars.

Ive been going to National Trail a couple times a year for Import Face Off--coming up the end of next month, are you going?

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 10:11:48 AM »
Im curious if Import Face Off will continue following what happened in Kansas.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »
Im curious if Import Face Off will continue following what happened in Kansas.

What happened in Kansas?

Ive been going for a couple years now and its a really good time. Family friendly enviroment, drag racing, auto x, car show. Whats not to love?

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
Nevermind, i just googled it..

Sad :'(

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »
no i hadn't planned on going, but its a straight shot up route 37 to the track from my house. we usually go there all the time in summer time on friday nights on open track night best way to spend $10 on a friday night.

also sad to hear about the crash in KS.

Corey

• OverBoost
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 07:32:57 AM »
no i hadn't planned on going, but its a straight shot up route 37 to the track from my house. we usually go there all the time in summer time on friday nights on open track night best way to spend $10 on a friday night.

also sad to hear about the crash in KS.

It's a good time, you should check it out!