Author Topic: My 84 Flatty  (Read 2600 times)

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
My 84 Flatty
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:13:05 PM »
here she is loaded up at keiths house in Indiana on slowquests trailer ready to head back to ohio. the car is all original minus the front 5 lug swap, she has been sitting for a while and hasn't run in 4 yrs. it had 57,400 miles on it and I paid $1500 for it. it had a bad fuel pump and rusty tank and I dropped in the tank and pump from my 87.

Interior is a 8-9 out of 10, not perfect but in really good shape. here is what it looked like when I first got it, the white stuff on the floor is rice that keith put in there to absorb moisture since it was sitting for so long.

engine was completely stock when I got it and plan to keep it that way. only thing that has been changed is the turbo was replaced under warranty and they replaced it with a watercooled turbo instead of just a oil cooled one. the coolant passages have nothing running to them since the car wasn't equipped with the pieces needed to run coolant to it.

I did some digging and found out where the original front wheels went, John (Indiana) who was the previous owner before keith had them sitting in his garage. I traded him a MSD ignition box and 3 step for them back.

the motor had a small exhaust leak in the #4 (big surprise) and I had another good condition manifold laying around so I went ahead and ported the step for the ring, port matched the gasket, and stress relieved it.

also ported the turbo inlet and the wastegate flap. this is the only mod done to the motor.

oh sorry I also gutted the pre-cat, the rest of the exhaust is stock.

gathered all the parts to convert the front wheels and hubs back to original 4 lugs.

here she is with all the original wheels back on her.

did a good tune up on her.

installed a new vacuum advance and new injector clips.

repainted the front bumper because the paint was too faded to buff.

also repaired and repainted the rear bumper where it was cracked when I got it.

also had the alternator go out so she got a brand new one.
1984 Dodge Conquest 58,000 miles, all original.

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
Re: My 84 Flatty
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 08:32:10 PM »
fast forward a few months of blood sweat and tears and here we are....

new tires, stripped the gold paint off the lip of the wheels to expose the nice polished lip, and got the windows tinted 15% all the way around.

engine bay cleaned up.

here are a couple pics before the windows got tinted.

at slowquests house.

at a local car show.

at the drag strip. 17.34 @ 79mph

the car has about 58,500 miles on it now so I have put about a 1000 miles on it so far. it will get a few more on the 20hr round trip to branson but I have no doubts she can make the trip without any problems. it does have one small thing that still needs worked out and that's the radiator, I have done several flushes and used clr but just cant get it all the way unclogged. I could have it sent out and rodded but they still sell new mechanical fan radiators on rockauto for $125 so it will get a new one at tax time.

for now I have a donor radiator out of a 88 to try in it to see if it works any better then the original one. I have also gather all the parts so that I can run coolant lines to the turbo, nothing more then changing the thermostat housing so I have a inlet line and I have a 88 water pump with the return line on the pump. I have a old oil cooler and lines sitting here and I am gonna cut the lines and use the ends since they are the same size as the oil cooler bolts.

as of right now around town the car stays right at half on the temp gauge, but as soon as you hit the freeway it jumps to 3/4 and stays there. this is what temps looked like on a 1 1/2 hour drive to slowquests house, turning the heat on high makes the temps drop to half so its for sure the radiator causing the problem. or could be the pump but its getting changed also so hopefully we can get this taken care of before branson.

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 10:38:52 PM »
swapped out the original radiator for a donor one that slowquest gave me, so far it seems to have solved the overheating problem.

I had to make this tie down so I could run at the track because my battery is shorter then a stock one. this was just a quick fix so I could pass track inspection.

so I cut a piece of 2x6 and put it under the battery and it raised it up enough so that I could install the factory tie down bracket.

cyberquest

• Tire Shredder
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 12:33:54 PM »
changed the rear diff gear oil last night and greased up the Torque Tube.

today under the suggestion of Mr. Phil i clean out my clutch hydraulics and got some fresh fluid in there.

and it for sure needed it. the master and slave were replaced at some point by Indiana and the car only has 58,000 miles on it so this fluid has very few MILES on it but it has sat for some years.

master

here is what the fluid looked like that came out of it.

everything cleaned up.

i made sure to flush the line and i also cleaned out the slave real good just didnt take pics of it for some reason.

this is the fluid that was drained out while bleeding the clutch, the fluid is nice and clean now.

i will say this.....the clutch is MUCH better now, i did put the car in the air to verify the clutch wasnt dragging at all. the over all feel of the clutch is much smoother and it seems to engage better and it doesnt want to hang up going into 3rd now so it was well worth the effort.

thanks for the advice phil.....seems you arent completely useless after all..... ;D