Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 3840 times)

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
New Guy
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »
Hey there! I just found this place, after months of trying to join the dead/dying Starquest site, I finally found a Starion site! This is my first build with something that has pistons instead of rotors, so some of this is a bit odd to me.

Anyway, I've got myself a rust free 88 Quest, 90k on it and full of rat shit! Yeah it's the best. I bought the car non-running, and fixed the wiring harness, got my injectors flowed, found a new 89 ECU, replaced all the ignition components, Upgraded to the S5 Rotary Alternator, and go the car running.

Of course the fuel pump died, but that's due to the shit wiring the PO did, so it's getting a new pump, which has been a headache in and of itself.

I've got all new interior for it too, did I mention it smelled like rats?

New mechanical oil pressure sender; I'm getting 90-100 on cold idle and 20-30 hot idle. It builds very quickly when revving so I think I've got good bearings.

Compression tested around 135-140 all 4 cold, so I think that's good yeah?

I've replaced 90 percent of the old vacuum line with new silicon hose. I'm a bit confused, and the manual I have doesn't show it, but how does the wastegate plumbing work?

I know that's a lot for an intro, but I have a about 3-4 months of work into it with no one to tell about it lmao.

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »
Welcome. You will learn a lot here. Sounds like you have a good start.
1989 Conquest. motor built by DAD .20 over block. Wiseco pistons. new m26 head w/ ss valves. Holset Hx35 at ??psi, hurricane MPI intake manifold. 75lb injectors. meth injection, 3" exhaust. 3bar map sensor. Ajusta Head gasket. ARP head studs. FIP updated by Scott87star

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:17:44 PM »
Welcome
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
Thanks for the welcome!

I got the new pump installed and the tank re-mounted. Much easier with a jack than by hand eh!

So the pump is running, but I'm not getting enough fuel to the injectors. Car will start, then die. I'm pretty sure I kinked the big line between the tank pickup and the pump itself. I had to fab one from 1/2 inch line as there's no way I'm getting the factory piece. I may just put the factory one back, as it's undamaged?

Once it's less than 90 out I'm off to try this and hopefully drive this car for the first time in at least 10 years!

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:55:46 PM »
I suppose I should really start a build thread...

So I went to try and start the car again. I made sure the fuel line was not kinked, and I am getting fuel at the mixer.

The car still won't start. You know how i you peddle a carbed car when it's tough to start and you're feeding it with the accelerator pump? Yeah that's what I have to do to get the Quest to run, and even then it's only barely! I'm at a loss now. Maybe not enough fuel pressure? I did remove the Fuel pulsation damper thing from the pump...would that cause this?

I tried swapping knock boxes and ECU's and the result was the same. So that narrows it down a bit eh!

Also jumped the battery with the RX7 to make sure I had a good charge, and made sure terminals were tight. Also checked coil terminals, Fusible links, and dizzy wiring. No dice so far. I'm still thinking it's a fuel issue as it will run, poorly and for no more than about 10 seconds.

Help?

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 06:08:14 AM »
Have you checked fuel pressure? Changed the filters? 1 intank, 1 cone filter in fuel pump, 1 engine bay filter.
Im looking for my magic 8-ball and will let you know.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 07:16:28 AM »
Already changed the big fuel filter outside of the tank. I didn't get into the tank, but I guess that's next. I was looking at a fuel pressure gauge that I could t into the line before the filter because my line from the mixer to the filter is braided stainless now. I assume there's some special tool to check pressure and volume.

I put a scope into the tank and it's clean surprisingly.

Good luck with the 8-ball.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »
Timing set? Possible knock box.
When cranking, are you seeing tach movement?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »
Well the timing was at least passable, as I had the car running previously. I can't get it to stay running long enough now to check, without pulling the cam cover at least.

I swapped knock boxes, with another from an 89 Quest, and it displayed the same symptoms.

I'm seriously wondering if the AFM bit the dust?

I also swapped in a new alternator and passenger side thermosensor for the radiator (Fans weren't coming on when hot).

The Alt is a Mitsu unit from a 90 RX7, S5. It's 90+ amps, and practically bolts in place of the SQ unit. I got the idea because the SQ alternator is the same one as my First gen RX7 which I upgraded alts on as well, with much success.

I think I'll un-hook the fuel line from the Mixer, and use the test port to see if I'm getting sufficient fuel. Is the spec somewhere in the FSM?

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »
38psi +/- a few

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 10:44:25 PM »
I got it to run! Poorly, but it's running.

I cleaned a ton of stuff, with electrical contact cleaner, and plugged the fuel injector clips in and out a few times. Also tried switching them for the lols. So it won't rev past ~3k, and sounds bad otherwise with the correct clips on the correct injectors. I'm going to double check my injector clip wiring, which I had to splice due to rats and new injector clips.

I did a volume check on the pump and it's putting out ~90 lph. No pressure check yet, but that's next. I still think it's a injector clip issue. I did have the injectors tested by a good friend and saw the test myself so I know they're good.

I'm really itching to drive this thing, and will head back to the storage yard tomorrow.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 08:31:24 AM »
Thats great! What is your spark timing?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

wrngwae

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
Good deal. make sure your vac advance in the distributor is not bad. suck on it and make sure it holds.
1989 Conquest. motor built by DAD .20 over block. Wiseco pistons. new m26 head w/ ss valves. Holset Hx35 at ??psi, hurricane MPI intake manifold. 75lb injectors. meth injection, 3" exhaust. 3bar map sensor. Ajusta Head gasket. ARP head studs. FIP updated by Scott87star

Sharkquest

• OverBoost
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
It was just a loos/dirty MAF connector! So the car was real smooth, even revved. Until it didn't.

I started hearing a knocking noise. It goes away when I rev the motor. Oddly the temp gauge on the dash is climbing, but I've only had the motor running maybe 2 minutes. I checked the head, and I can touch it, same wit the turbo exhaust housing, that hurts. My digital temp gauge says 175 on the ehad and around 400 on the turbine. So no where near overheating. The radiator hose hasn't even heated yet.

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up so I can double check things, and I see 0 oil pressure all of a sudden!?! Then engine stops. Uhoh. I think my oil pump has failed. Or I've thrown a rod? Other than a full teardown, any ideas to determine the problem? The car is a mile or so from my house in a storage lot, so it's a bit of a pain, and dirty to try to work there.

I tried cranking it. And I get 0-pressure on my gauge while cranking. I think I should see something when cranking no?

BTW should I start a new thread, so I can put up some pics?