Author Topic: Manual Rack Hack  (Read 2805 times)

Mad-Dax

• OverBoost
Manual Rack Hack
« on: December 10, 2012, 03:26:49 PM »
Ok for starters there may be a few ways and options for manual.  This is is using a 90 Civic manual rack.  Took out steering column and cut off the coupler (which is still good) got a weld on 5/8x36 spline.  I tig'd it up.

Gonna use this and tig it on the donor u-joints

More strength

Shorten the tube and the rack.  It is okay to cut the length out of the tube but you need to cut the end off the actual rack to the correct length then drill and tap it, counter bore it, and then cut some slots for the locking nut like factory.

This is a crude 1/4" mounting plate but it is tough.  It will bolt to the bottom of the K member which will need to have the stock steering bump stops knocked off.

Lets see

Had to tilt the angle so that the pinion will stick up out of the way of the starter.

I think these welds will be strong enough...I hope.

Here are the tie rods.

I know I need to make some of these...but I am using the hack ones mainly for test and fitment.

:(  OK so it is all together and with the wheels off the ground it is hard to turn....it binds/gets real tight every few inches I turn the wheel either direction.  It may be the U-joint up top...it is at 50 degree angle and I have read that you really don't want to go over 20 degrees or 30 max.

And here is the fix.  This makes it work.  However it is still too hard for me to be turning with a daily driver so i am taking it out of my car....it would be good for a track car.  Also a bracket needs to be had for the bottom of the steering column.

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Re: Manual Rack Hack
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
did you give up on this in favor of the nissan rack?
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

Mad-Dax

• OverBoost
Re: Manual Rack Hack
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Yes..would you like it?