Author Topic: Which turbo is the best for you?  (Read 12341 times)

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Which turbo is the best for you?
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:05:17 AM »
I will be transferring this post over from the old site, so please be patient.

original post date: 5 Feb 11
87 Conquest Tsi: 519whp 519wtq 7.09@102--10.95@122
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Re: What turbo is the best for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »
Is there such a thing????

Me and John(starquestrescue) were conversing about turbo sizing and I decided it was time to post.

Im going to take into account different turbo setups aswell as their dyno results and compare curves.
Lets just use harddata. Not seat of the pants stuff. Also leave out dragtimes since driver ability is the main factor in that.

For the sake of me and SQR's discussion Ill be posting up the corresponding turbo specs.

MHI TD05H 18G (SQR)
PTE SC6062 T4 (Muah)

If anyone else can provide their turbo specs with g54b dyno sheets please add them up. Ill add more as I come across it.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:57:59 AM »
Quote from: StarWolf
Woo this should be interesting and helpful in my decision!

You just going to be picking some popular turbo's and looking at power curves etc?

Quote from: funkyp
Yes, but only G54b tested units. That way we can use relevant dyno sheets.

Biggest thing in this decision for everyone is : WHAT AM I GONNA USE MY CAR FOR!!!!?!???!?!?!?!

DD fun/Drag/AutoX/Roadrace........
The power delivery for all those platforms is so different. There is no one size fits all.
I always tell people this and have been proven right everytime. Make up your mind on what you want.
If you buy a turbo for a car that you want to autoX and dragrace. Youll soon find out that you will only be mediocre at both.

Decide where you want your car to shine and build toward that goal.
 :wink:
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Its awesome that SQR has datalogging because we can also use that for the comparisons.

Heres some A/R Conversions. Mitsubishi aswell as other factory turbo companies like to use CM for their measurements.
So if your looking at say a Holset  :wink: this is what those numbers translate to in aftermarket terms.

6 cm² = 0.41 A/R
7 cm² = 0.49 A/R
8 cm² = 0.57 A/R
9 cm² = 0.65 A/R
10 cm² = 0.73 A/R
10.5 cm² = 0.77 A/R
11 cm² = 0.81 A/R
12 cm² = 0.89 A/R

I believe the SQ turbine housing is in the 8cm range.

I tell people to think of AR's like brands of shoes. A 9 in a Nike is a 10 in a reebok.

A/R's are not set across the board. So T25/T3/T4 A/Rs vary since its merely a measurement of distance rather than area.

simple rule of thumb, smaller turbine housing=quicker spool=higher backpressure. And visa versa

Take that into HEAVY thought when choosing your cam!  :wink:
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
Re: Which turbo is the best for you?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
SQ MHI TD05H 18G 8cm/2
Compressor wheel
Inducer=50.3mm
Exducer=68mm

Turbine Wheel
Inducer=56mm
Exducer=49.2mm

Flow=600cfm

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:08:12 PM »
Pulled this over from a previous post by SQR

This shows boost response on the 18G in 3rd and 4th at the dragstrip.

Please point out anything I missed John

Here is that same cars dyno with I believe 26psi. Regardless, you just need to see the power curve.

So with the datalog and dynograph info we can better understand whats really going on.

You can see that the only time you will realize max torque is on liftoff. After that, not so much.

You can se all that quick spool meant nada and now your relying on a tabletop HP curve rather than a continuous climb.

5252rpm is the HP/TQ intersect. On a proper setup HP is supposed to continue up. Not both drop. That my friends is a setup that is outta steam/choking. Your engine is begging for a larger Hotside!

But going by the 1000rpm shift drop, what if you made max HP at 5500rpm? Then where would your used tq fall?
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 10:10:41 PM »
(6FEB2011)

19psi

As you can see with more refining of the fuel table in the 5800+ rand it would have prolly been a 380/380 graph as HP would have continued to increase.

PTE SC6062 T4 .58AR

Compressor Wheel
Inducer=60mm
Exducer=79mm

Turbine Wheel
Inducer=71mm
Exducer=62mm

Flow=985cfm

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »
In these logs the boost is about 22.5 where the traces come together and the 18g was spiking to 25-26 psi. The 19c td05h 15 degree clip builds boost slowly and that is a big part of why it got its ass kicked by the 18g. I think the 18g was still a td05 turbine in these logs. It was later upgraded to a td05h turbine.

I wasted about a year and a half with the 19c. It was one of the bigger disappointments of my starquest adventure. I think it is a good example of how turbo that can not hit full boost quickly after a shift or launch can kill drag performance.

Synced at the 2/3 shift

Synced at the 1/2 shift

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 10:20:08 PM »
Quote from: StarquestRescue
You can se all that quick spool meant nada and now your relying on a tabletop HP curve rather than a continuous climb.
The table top hp curve is made possible by the quick spool and big tourqe #.

Clearly my set was maxed out as extra boost on the dyno made little change in peak hp. But it did add a lot of power between peak torque and peak hp. Which yield results at the track on on the street.

Looking at my logs i see 1700 rpm drop after the 1/2 shift. A 1800 rpm drop after the 2/3 and a 1350 rpm drop after the 3/4. My power band is about 1500-1600 rpms wide.

I have come to the conclusion i am shifting to soon on the 1/2 and 2/3.

If you want to see a lame power band look up scotty dont's big cam 16g dyno. Ski slope power curve.

If you look at white starions dyno power curve it looks a lot like mine. Only higher #'s and higher rpm range. Also a turbo that was boosted well into its upper boost and air flow range.

Haha we will leave Scotty outta this hahahaha I know what your saying. But there's alotta mechanical error there hahahaha

but bringing up 88whitestarion (superdave) is another interesting story. You say it looks alot like yours. I have spoke with him in person about his setup. He loves it as a street strip car but wishes for more top end power. Once again another setup that was geared more towards spool and not the actual goal. That's why he's hurting at the top of the 1/4mi.

His dyno was on a completely tapped out turbo, 30+psi to make those numbers. If he was only running 1/8mi he'd be good to go. The problem with table top powerbands is that you basically run outta accelleration. Meaning rpms come slower, and rpms = wheels speed/mph

I'm not a pro, and if I'm wrong correct me. I do spend alotta time with single digit muscle car guys aswell as years of comparing different 2.6 setups. That's why I did the hp club stuff. So other people wouldn't have to search as hard as I did.

The table top hp curve is made possible by the quick spool and big tourqe #.

Clearly my set was maxed out as extra boost on the dyno made little change in peak hp. But it did add a lot of power between peak torque and peak hp. Which yield results at the track on on the street.

The table top HP curve is made possible by TOO MUCH backpressure. Its that simple. Backpressure reduces engine VE in essence chocking the engine which causes the power curve to fall off.

That is fact which has been proven over and over.

Without the exhaust restriction that your td05h puts on the engine, HP would continue to climb as a result of your TQ curve staying up for longer. HP is an formula using TQ and RPM (work over time)

Look at my dynograph, imagine I shut it down at 5100rpm. Well you would have a dynograph that says 350whp/380wtq

Then if I didnt know any better Id just say...."Oh these 2.6's just make alot of TQ"  :roll:  They do make good lowend but its more an illusion created by the use of tiny turbo's.

If you look at my TQ curve, youll see that once I hit full power TQ still continues up.  Whereas yours, you hit max boost and it quickly begins to drop.
You have already chocked your engine. The result, Quick TQ drop and no power curve.

Its funny actually, when people hear my numbers they always ask, "why such low tq?"

:shock: 

REALLY!?!?!?!?!

:lol:  :lol:

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
This chart would seem to indicate there is a little left in a 18g 05. The 60-1 looks good as well. Another maxed out turbo choice. The gt 35r imo is under preforming when run at 18 psi. Even more so if you believe the gt 35r car was on a happy dyno.

Now what did Chris Viper have that i do not?

External waste gate
full 2.25 intercooler piping
Speed density (no air flow meter restriction)
More head flow and secret cam

All things that would increase the air flow through the engine and effectively lower the turbine back pressure.

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 10:56:03 PM »
Bluecook actually runs a GT3076R and yes I have heard plenty of dynocom storys but thats another day.

Chrisviper,
Yes, external gate helps alot since your eliminating all that turbulence in the exhaust housing. Thats why the dsm/evo turbines flow so well.

He also had a cam of which i do not know the specs. He also had a Greddy Emanage which allows for fuel and ignition event control. Ignition control opens up alot of power.

Quickconq was having boost control and distributor issues at that time so you need to ignore his number because i believe they are low.
Same as my 419hp numbers.

But the GT3076 is a sweet turbo! 

Quote from: spoon32
I ran an td05-18g all this past year and was very happy with it both in low and top performance. I could tell from my IAT that after 4500-5000 it was near or out of its efficiency.
By the way this was with MPI and 2.5" exhaust.

I'm building a TD06-25g right now and I think this will end up being a great combination.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:47 PM »
All things that would increase the air flow through the engine and effectively lower the turbine back pressure.

And those are all things that increase engine VE.

Im just going to post this and say nothing more about it.....
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=49178-04600&Category_Code=Turbo-Mitsu

Straight from Mitsubishi to you! The Mitsubishi TD05H 20g for fitment on any T3 manifold. This is the 49178-04600 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 20g. It features a 2.4" compressor inlet and a 2" compressor outlet. The turbine wheel is a TD05H and the turbine housing is T3 flanged with a 10cm2 nozzle

I ran an td05-18g all this past year and was very happy with it both in low and top performance. I could tell from my IAT that after 4500-5000 it was near or out of its efficiency.

I'm building a TD06-25g right now and I think this will end up being a great combination.
I have run both the 18g 05 and 18g 05h. The h wheel delayed spool and full boost (20 + psi) about 200 rpm and definitely pulled harder and further up top.

When i went from a 2.5 exhaust to a 3"  my injector duty cycle increased 6+ %. My old cat was probably dead, i am not sure how much of a factor that was. My 3" has a cat and quieter muffler.

Spoon what intercooler are you using?

And those are all things that increase engine VE.

Im just going to post this and say nothing more about it.....
http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=49178-04600&Category_Code=Turbo-Mitsu

Straight from Mitsubishi to you! The Mitsubishi TD05H 20g for fitment on any T3 manifold. This is the 49178-04600 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries 20g. It features a 2.4" compressor inlet and a 2" compressor outlet. The turbine wheel is a TD05H and the turbine housing is T3 flanged with a 10cm2 nozzle

Have your tried this combination?
To me this would seem like a very finicky setup due to the H-wheel AND a 10cm housing. Obviously very high flow but the 20g is a fairly high speed wheel and that would worry me for situations other dyno runs.

I have run both the 18g 05 and 18g 05h. The h wheel delayed spool and full boost (20 + psi) about 200 rpm and definitely pulled harder and further up top.

When i went from a 2.5 exhaust to a 3"  my injector duty cycle increased 6+ %. My old cat was probably dead, i am not sure how much of a factor that was. My 3" has a cat and quieter muffler.

Spoon what intercooler are you using?

I will agree that from my experience I would have made that 200RPM trade no questions.
I have no cat and the muffler is straight through. Rough pressure drop showed about 2psi through the entire exhaust. I would like to move to a 3" soon but thats nowhere near the system choke point yet.
I have been running a stock core with custom ends welded on. (not just inlet/outlet tubes)

Bmw tech talking about different 20g's
[quote name='BMWTech' date='10 November 2010 - 06:29 AM' timestamp='1289388572' post='1101800']
The TD05 was awesome on the street and it got me low 12's on the track. The TD06H a completely different turbo, its a 1000rpm slower to come into boost but once it does it destroys the TD05 and I'm only running on self tuning right now. I dont plan on tracking it until I get it dyno tuned (maybe next month?). Most of my setup is the same except the turbo and header and it takes 20-25% more fuel at the same boost level (18psi) as the TD05. So you can see how much more CFM it flows at the same boost, also why it takes longer to spool. For 300+whp and the sake of fun and driveability i'd say go with a TD05 or a TD06 in a 7cm2 housing if you can find it. The TD06H in an 8cm2 will be slower to spool and the 10cm2 a lot slower.

Neil
[/quote]
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »
Yes, but what BMWtech says is pure speculation. And yes, throwing in the larger td06 wheel will increase lag. it is after all....a bigger wheel. Thats why I like that this still has an 05h turbine in it.
Thats the turbo used in tons of 2liter kits

50% of the time (totally made up that number) Ive seen lag issues related more to other mechanical issues if not the tune itself.

Spoon, high speed turbo? Are you referencing surge?

Thats actually more than I had wanted to say about that turbo being as I always recommend getting away from MHI turbos...... :oops:

Compressor wheels can't cause lag, however compare the map of the 20g to say.... a 52trim, 56trim, or even a 60-1. Fairly similar size induce/exducers however if you pick any pr/flow point you'll notice the 20g typically requires about 10k more rpm.
Combine this with the H turbine wheel and a 10cm housing which will increase lag..... and you could see my concern.

Other than the lack of ball bearing option, why do you shy from MHI turbos?

Compressor wheels can't cause lag, however compare the map of the 20g to say.... a 52trim, 56trim, or even a 60-1. Fairly similar size induce/exducers however if you pick any pr/flow point you'll notice the 20g typically requires about 10k more rpm.
Combine this with the H turbine wheel and a 10cm housing which will increase lag..... and you could see my concern.

Other than the lack of ball bearing option, why do you shy from MHI turbos?

I was refering to turbine wheels, but yes compressor wheels can and DO cause lag. Grossly enlarged blade buckets will lag due to the fact that they require wheel speed to become efficient. Thats why they make high blade count compressor wheels.

Back to the map comparisons, what about the housings? Different compressor housings will have large effect on efficiency aswell. Were they in similar housings?

I shy away from MHI due to them being mostly primitive designs that people try to use. I definately dont like the turbine housings. It seems like too much sacrifice just to retain boltup ability.

Go T3 and enjoy the world of possibility!  :lol:

I brought up the large turbine housing/ small wheel setup just to point out whats being done to fight off exhaust backpressure. Thats the reason I posted that. To show what they are running on 2.0l engines, yet here we are with over a 1/2liter on them wondering why were chocking our engines with 8cm housings.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »
Here is a SyTy TD06H 8cm 20G dyno.

You can see that aslong as that torque curve is staying alive HP continues to climb. you will also notice max torque comes much later than initial peak.
I speculate the HP falling off his due to the tune being as the owner doesnt wish to rev it out.  :roll:

Now remember, 8cm is not identicle from 05 to 06 due to the housing being built accordingly much like T3 and T4 A/R

This is laggy how???

Taking a note from the SyTy guys, one of their first recommended mods is to dump the restrictive 8cm for a 10 up to 14cm turbines.

SQR, This is for you

http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au/

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment...... the "lag" most people feel and complain about comes from the inertia of the rotating mass and forces against its rotation. Being that the exhaust wheel/shaft is many times heavier than the compressor wheel, regardless of compressor wheel size, from an inertial point of view it is fraction of the systems total mass.
From a force point of view you would have bearing friction, aerodynamic resistance, and pressure resonances. Friction is obviously a BIG player here if you have journal bearings, however that has nothing to do with compressor size. Aerodynamic resistance is effected by both wheel size and blade design. However MHI's "G" wheel series is fairly efficient for its design age. The swept double blade design it incorporates is highly resistant to cavitation, unlike the "C" series which many like SQR have found disapointing. The aerodynamic resistance also has less to do with wheel size than it does blade design. Pressure resonances from the exhaust manifold and from any backpressure post-turbine obviously have nothing to do with the compressor.
So where does the compressor wheel cause lag? It doesn't.
It can only come from an open/large turbine wheel/housing design which will acccelerate slowly but have a higher max RPM, combined with a compressor wheel which is most effiecent at high RPMs.

I'm not advocating sticking with small MHI turbines and housings.... but I am saying people seem to spec a compressor wheel and a turbine setup independently rather than looking at the compressor and turbine as a system.

Side note to your Sy/Ty comment..... would you happen to have found documentation anywhere that they are truely 8cm housings? I have one and typically MHI housings are stamped 060 for 6cm and 080 for 8cm..... but the Sy/Ty housing is stamped 10. I've always wondered if it is a 8cm housing why they would have deviated from their standard markings.

Also it would make sense for them to go to a 10 or 14cm housing since they have 1.7L more displacement..... heck thats almost as much as one of those disgusting 4g63's.  :lol:

[size=9]Let me play devil's advocate for a moment...... the "lag" most people feel and complain about comes from the inertia of the rotating mass and forces against its rotation. Being that the exhaust wheel/shaft is many times heavier than the compressor wheel, regardless of compressor wheel size, from an inertial point of view it is fraction of the systems total mass.
From a force point of view you would have bearing friction, aerodynamic resistance, and pressure resonances. Friction is obviously a BIG player here if you have journal bearings, however that has nothing to do with compressor size. Aerodynamic resistance is effected by both wheel size and blade design. However MHI's "G" wheel series is fairly efficient for its design age. The swept double blade design it incorporates is highly resistant to cavitation, unlike the "C" series which many like SQR have found disapointing. The aerodynamic resistance also has less to do with wheel size than it does blade design. Pressure resonances from the exhaust manifold and from any backpressure post-turbine obviously have nothing to do with the compressor.
So where does the compressor wheel cause lag? It doesn't.
It can only come from an open/large turbine wheel/housing design which will acccelerate slowly but have a higher max RPM, combined with a compressor wheel which is most effiecent at high RPMs.[/size]

Well first off, for the sake of just knowing better, Lets nottalk about MHI wheels when referring to lag. It just kills me everytime someone downtalks an 18g because itll be too laggy.  :roll:

But yes you are correct, I guess I was more referring to low boost efficiency not so much lag. Because many Large turbo's like my old T67seemed laggy in response/power/response until it got up into moderate boost levels like 18psi. So yes, the turbine speed was there but the efficiency to make useable/noticeable power was not. But what can you expect from a 700+ HP turbo.

Exactly..... its an ignorant comment. As I mentioned before, I ran a 18g with a stock turbine all last year and it performed excellent on street!
In fact I would venture to say those who want a compressor upgrade only should consider it first and not the S16g which is possibly the worst MHI compressor in the "G" series. (not gatorade... sorry I couldn't help that joke  :lol: )

I realize this is your topic, but I think we shouldn't rule out MHI discussion because lets face it..... 75%-80% of the SQ community isn't going to pony up to purchase a GT series snail.... or possibly even a T3/T4.

But I agree........ there are quite a few other turbos out there that scream "put me on a 2.6L!"

By the way... of the 5 or so SQ forums I frequent.... this is deff currently my favorite.

Side note to your Sy/Ty comment..... would you happen to have found documentation anywhere that they are truely 8cm housings? I have one and typically MHI housings are stamped 060 for 6cm and 080 for 8cm..... but the Sy/Ty housing is stamped 10. I've always wondered if it is a 8cm housing why they would have deviated from their standard markings.

SyTy.org
Here are the specs for the Mitsubishi Turbos that will work with the Syclone and
Typhoon.  I got these specs from a Mitsubishi Tech sheet on "High Performance
Turbos".

Compres Turbine
   Description         Spec. #         Flow
Flow   Part No.
   ----------------- ------------- -------- -----   -----------      
   Syclone Stock      TD06-17C-8CM2   550cfm   2.3   49179-04000
   UpgradeCompressor   TD06H-20G      650cfm
49179-43400
     req insert
49179-54900
   Turbine Upgrade   TD06-10CM2               2.6
49179-11200
   Turbine Upgrade   TD06-12CM2               2.9
49179-11300
   BAD DOG (Bolt in)   TD06H-20G-14CM2 650cfm   3.3   49179-04100

This link also references the AR as an 8
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=mitsubishi&pagina=TDO6

Also it would make sense for them to go to a 10 or 14cm housing since they have 1.7L more displacement..... heck thats almost as much as one of those disgusting 4g63's.  :lol:

That sounds like an agreement that we need larger turbine housings. If you look at the link above, Even ralliart saw there was an issue and jumped straight to a TD06H.

I realize this is your topic, but I think we shouldn't rule out MHI discussion because lets face it..... 75%-80% of the SQ community isn't going to pony up to purchase a GT series snail.... or possibly even a T3/T4.

THIS IS NOT my topic.  :lol:  I post everything on here to help make SQ owners aware. This topic belongs to anyone that wishes to scoot!

And Im not discluding MHI, ask anyone Ive spoken to. If they are gonna upgrade the first thing I say is 18G. But that is it. Thats also why I chose to use SQR's results from his. Not only to help him but everyone else. Plus he has the ability to aquire much needed data on his system.

Otherwise T3 or T4 all the way!!!

But I agree........ there are quite a few other turbos out there that scream "put me on a 2.6L!"

By the way... of the 5 or so SQ forums I frequent.... this is deff currently my favorite.

Actually, most of the results I got from PN searches on the SyTy Td06 straight out said, recommended for 2-3liter engines! DING DING DING!!!

Im glad you enjoy it here. as youll notice I try to include as much useable hard data to back up statements made. If it seems like Im arguing I highly doubt I am. Im merely trying to fully understand like the rest of us.

Ive spent alot of time and money to get my car to its current performance due to the fact that alot of the info was missing, like dyno sheets with spec listings and such. Even cam stuff.  Which is why I hit you up the minute you made you SQC cam post.

Enough bullshitting! Back to performance!!  8)

CLICK TO SEE BUILD

FunkyPhil

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
The stock sy/ty 100% is suited to us I agree!!

However I think using their upgrades... ie 10cm or 14cm housings will be out of our league short of dyno runs only. (Especially if you cheat and use an eddy type dyno)  :idea:

No worrys.... I too have been searching for a good forum in which to explore true 2.6 potential.
Not to clutter up this thread too much either.... but i do have some more cam stuff in works.

Also dug this up.

TD06 Turbine
Inducer = 67.2mm
Exducer = 58.8mm

Post turbulence could be fixed by closing up the crossover and going to a dsm style divided setup. Internal dumping of wastegate pressure is the most rediculous concept ive ever seen. But then again it was designed for near stock performance levels.  :roll:

Im not dead yet

On your Sy/Ty is not your average TD06... let me add this. I just went to the basement and did some measuring.
Sy/Ty
Flange inlet area=2508 mm2
Inducer=66mm
Exducer=56mm

Euro/Aus Starion TD06 (as seen on http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au )
Flange inlet area=1468 mm2
Inducer=67mm
Exducer=56.8mm

Also.... i cannot get calipers in there, but trust me when I say the wastegate hole is SUBSTANITAILLY larger and blended better on the Sy/Ty than the starion TD06.
I will try to get pics up later.
CLICK TO SEE BUILD